1. I hope he drives you crazy in all the best ways – butterflies in your stomach and desire so intense it’s distracting.
2. I hope he challenges and inspires you to try new things because he wants to share them with you, not because he thinks he’s better than you.
3. I hope you find yourself smiling for no reason at all when you’re driving down the highway and your mind is flooded with thoughts of him.
4. I hope you find it difficult to stay mad at each other.
5. I hope you find a love that shows you that it doesn’t have to be hard to be real.
6. I hope there are days when he feels like he might not be good enough for you, and I hope he makes you want to be a better person.
7. I hope you know that he can’t fix you when you have torn yourself apart.
8. I hope you pick someone who makes you laugh every day, just because he needs to see your smile light up the room (even on the hard days – especially on the hard days).
9. I hope you find a love that makes you relate to every obnoxious and cheesy ballad on the radio.
10. I hope you pick someone who accepts our relationship (notice I didn’t say “friendship” – that really doesn’t do it justice). I hope he understands that you have two families – your blood and us: the first people you got drunk with; the girls you ran to when your first love left you; the girls whose hands you hold in crowded bars and on the way to funerals; the ones who know your insides, even the dark corners.
11. I hope when he sees you walk down the aisle, he looks at you like you can’t possibly be real.
12. I hope he knows he needs our seal of approval just as much as he needs your father’s.
13. I hope he sleeps on the couch when I show up at your house in the middle of the night because I need to feel like I’m not as alone as I actually am.
14. I hope you feel comfortable ordering a double bacon cheeseburger when you’re out to eat with him, and that you fart in front of him at least once before you marry him.
15. I hope you fall in love with someone who knows your eyes aren’t simply “blue”, rather they’re July sky blue masked in stormy gray clouds – muted, but thunderous – and when you cry, somehow they get lighter, softer.
16. I hope you don’t forget that you are an individual before you are a partner. There will always be things you have to work through by yourself.
17. I hope you pick someone who’s turned on by you when you’re drinking Bud Light in a basement, when you’re sipping red wine in a snug black dress, and when you’re struggling through the last stretch of your daily jog.
18. I hope you’ll always get starry-eyed at each other, even when you’re bored out of your minds and you think maybe everything exciting has already happened. It hasn’t.
19. I hope you pick someone who doesn’t look away when you cry, even though you really are an ugly crier.
20. I hope you fall in love with someone who calls you beautiful, but not more often than he calls you smart and funny and graceful and strong.
21. I hope he doesn’t try to box you into one definition of a lady; I hope you don’t do that to yourself.
22. I hope you find a love that sets your soul on fire, but doesn’t burn you to the ground.
23. I hope you never have to doubt that he wants you back, because you deserve to wake up each morning being sure of at least this: you are loved; you are somebody’s one and only."
Eliza Hamilton, 23 Hopes For My Girlfriends, the Real Loves of My Life